Thursday, July 16, 2009

Snapshots from a traveler #5


Thursday, March 25, 1993
I feel like today was an almost waste of a day, except for Assisi....The drive to Assisi was beautiful and three hours long. Assisi is in the state of Umbria,* near this really big lake (I forget the name of it) and is the home (obviously) of St. Francis of Assisi. The city is on a hilltop, and is enclosed by an old wall. It and Perugia (because of that Guelph/Ghibelline thing) were archenemies in the past. Anyway, Assisi was absolutely beautiful. The streets were narrow, hilly and made of stone. Also, the Poor Clare nuns live in Assisi and can't talk to anyone else besides God. We ate yummy pizza at a cute small restaurant, and felt really Italian.

- From the diary I kept on a high school trip to Italy.

*I do not vouch for the accuracy of the factual information contained herein. But then again, I was quite a nerd in high school (not much has changed).

2 comments:

Melanie said...

A lovely photo. I love the pizza sign in the corner.

Dianne said...

Me too! Flipping through my old photo album the other night, that sign really caught my eye. I remember that restaurant like I was there yesterday. Low, curved stone walls. It was amazing.