Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Make guacamole.

"Hello Mother."

"Hello. How are you today? What do you need?"

[To be fair, I don't always necessarily need something from Mom when I call her. But mostly I do.]

"I need to know what you put into your avocado."

"What I put in my avocado? What the hell does that mean?"


"Sorry. I'm at work and distracted. I meant to ask, what do you put in your guacamole?"

[To be fair, her guacamole is awesome.]


"Oh, OK. Avocado, Lawry's seasoned salt, garlic, red onion, tomato, lime juice."

"Amounts?"

"I have no idea. Just make it. Why are you making guacamole, anyway?"

"For dinner."

"You're having guacamole for dinner?"

"Well, no. We're having tacos, with guacamole on the side."


"OK then. Don't forget the Lawry's seasoned salt. It is the secret."

A few hours later I realized that Mom's "recipe" -- otherwise known as "list of ingredients" -- did not include anything spicy. So I called her again.

"Do you put in a jalapeno?"

"Do I put a jalapeno in what?"

"Oh shut up, you know I'm talking about your guacamole."

"No. Just some hot sauce."

Husband had scrawled "one lonesome jalapeno" on the grocery list. I crossed it off the page.

I have often mentioned Mom's well-known disdain for ingredient measurements. Hence, she wanted me to publish her guacamole recipe as follows:
avocado
Lawry's
garlic
onion -- red
tomato
lime juice
hot sauce

Make guacamole.
However, even given Mom's charming disgust for method, I like to keep this space a full-service blog. So when I got home tonight I started measuring.

Just in time for Cinco de Mayo!



++++++

GUACAMOLE


This recipe is easily halved. In fact, if you're only looking for a little snacking guacamole, or perhaps some to use as a condiment for tacos, I would suggest halving it.


5 avocados, cut into pieces
2 t. Lawry's seasoned salt
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 c. red onion, finely chopped
1 medium tomato, diced
1/4 c. freshly-squeezed lime juice
Hot sauce (I like Tabasco), to taste


Place the avocados in a large bowl. Using a potato masher or a fork, mash the avocados until they're relatively smooth (leave a little chunkiness; it adds to the pleasing texture). Add the rest of the ingredients and mix well.

Start eating.


Makes about 3 cups of guacamole.
If you're going to store leftover guacamole, do so in an airtight container, with a piece of plastic wrap pushed down on the surface of the guac. Also throw in one of the avocado pits; Mom swears this helps keep the leftover guacamole from turning brown.


++++++

Previously, on A Stove With A House Around It:

One year ago: honey biscuits
Two years ago: mole poblano

1 comment:

Renee said...

I loved reading the commentary between you and your mom. So easy to relate to that!

I love guacamole and make it almost every week, but have never tried adding Lawry's to it. I don't keep that seasoning on hand, but I found a copycat recipe online and have everything. So, I may try this today!
(http://low-cholesterol.food.com/recipe/copycat-lawrys-seasoned-salt-17051)