Wednesday, January 21, 2009

A little less bright

It is with great sadness that I interrupt my regular blogging schedule to pay tribute to Luta Roberts. She was a dear friend of my family's -- a surrogate grandmother to me -- and she passed away yesterday morning.

You have read about Luta's fantastic personality, memorable exploits and delicious recipes several times in this space -- she is my muse when it comes to chicken divan, pecan pie, cream of mushroom soup and spaghetti brownies. There are plenty more tales and recipes where those came from, and I look forward to sharing them with you in the coming months in memory of her.

Luta and her husband, Jack, played a huge part in my formative years. They were fine, fine people -- caring and gracious and loving and compassionate in every sense of the words. And they were hilarious. I am so grateful to have known them both, and the world is a little less bright without them around. Especially without Luta's sparkling eyes and kind smile.

To Jim, their son: thank you for finding me today to relay the sad news. It means the world to me and my family that you've made the effort to find us again after all these years. Our thoughts and prayers are with you and Marcia during this difficult time. To Jack: I'm happy that Luta has found her way to you again, and I'm certain she'll be dragging you all around heaven in no time.

And to Luta: I miss you.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

So sorry for your loss. She sounds like a very special woman.

Anonymous said...

me too....

Dianne said...

Thank you both -- she was very special!